The cost of living in Paris and the surrounding area is, on average, comparable to other European capitals. For basic expenses such as rent, food and transportation, a student will need (per month) approximately:
NOTE: Your first month’s expenditures might be more costly as it may include:
Students are often entitled to discounts at shops, cinemas, museums, bookshops, for transportation, the theater, etc.
Remember to show your student card.
A student restaurant located on campus provides affordable meals for students (meals cost approximately €3).
Students can buy restaurant meal cards upon presentation of their student I.D. card. These meal cards are valid in all French university restaurants.
|Mandatory Health Care Coverage:
In France, health coverage is compulsory for all students.
The affiliation to the student social security system (reserved for students under the age of 28) gives access to health services from October 1st to the end of the following month of September and costs €200 per year. Social security fees must be paid to Efrei upon arrival.
|Optional Complementary Health Care Insurance:
The French social security system only reimburses about 70% of medical expenses on average. This is why most people take out complementary health care insurance with a mutual company, which refunds some of the remaining 30%. For a relatively low fee, the complementary student insurance plan offers extra health coverage. It also covers for third-party liability risks and serves as accident and death insurance. There are two different plans available for students: SMEREP and LMDE. These student insurance packages can be purchased at Efrei upon arrival.
The patient usually pays the doctor's fees directly to the doctor, then requests reimbursement (by mail or in person) from the insurance company. Reimbursement can take from two weeks to a month. With the social security card, (known as “la Carte Vitale”) reimbursement is automatic and fast. The card must be presented upon payment at the doctor’s office, the hospital or the pharmacy.
European Economic Space Citizens: The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
|Opening a French bank account is strongly recommended for students staying a minimum of 6 months. You will need to have a bank account to receive your accommodation allowance. You can put money into your current account, either a lump sum when you arrive (with traveler’s checks for example) or by a transfer from a bank abroad. Make enquiries about the exact procedures from your bank before leaving home.|
The major French banks are Société Générale, BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole, La Banque Postale, CIC, etc.
Documents normally needed to open an account:
|Approximately 2 weeks after opening the account, you will receive a checkbook and/or a credit card. Checkbooks are usually free of charge. Credit cards, which are valid for one or two years, cost between €15 and €30 per year, depending on the bank and the type of card.|
|A monthly transport pass in Paris will cost from €60.40 (for zone 1- 2) to €123.60 for the maximum number of zones. Efrei is in zone 1-2. Students can also buy an annual pass for a reduced cost (known as “carte Imagine R”)|
|All information about underground and bus transportation in Paris can be found on the RATP website: www.ratp.fr|
|There are 3 major mobile phone operators in France (Orange, Bouygues Telecom and SFR). They all have special deals for students with a wide choice of services, prices and types of contracts.|
|At home, you may choose to set up phone service including internet service. Several operators advertise packages (Wanadoo, Free, Neuf Telecom, Télé 2, Cegetel, Noos, etc.). It is essential to compare services and prices.|